ASSISI TOUR AND COMBO ASSISI TOUR WITH ORVIETO OR PERUGIA OR GUBBIO
Let us tempt you with a day trip to the discovery of the many artistic treasures of Assisi and its mystical atmosphere. With the tour of Assisi of Taxi NCC Italy, you can immerse yourself in the history of the place, through Roman ruins and medieval buildings along the main streets used by Saint Francis.
Enrich further this valuable experience with a visit to Orvieto, which from its cliff dominates the underlying Umbrian vineyards. Relive the ancient Etruscan past, the splendour of the era of Commons and the secrets of the underground of the Umbrian city with our car rental services.
End your trip with a ride through the historic centre of Perugia, in the shadow of churches, bell towers and medieval buildings that enclose some of the artistic treasures of Western art. The Umbrian capital will provide unexpected views.
You will arrive in the city of Assisi in 2 hours. There you can visit the most important Basilica of St. Francis, with fresces by Giotto. There are su Basilica in one, we call “Superior Basilica” and “Inferior Basilica”. St. Francis Basilica is one of the most important place of Italian Christianity, because represent the life of St. Francis, Patron Saint of Italy. The Basilica was built outsite the city center in 13th century.
The St. Francis Cathedral
St. Francis Cathedral was constructed in the Gothic style between 1257 and 1265.
In the Inferior Basilica you can many fresces about St. Francis life and Jesus passion. The famous paints of Giotto are located in the right transept and its represent life of Jesus.
In Superior Basilica you can enjoy the celebrated Cimabue and his works. Also Giotto worked in the Superior Basilica in the main nave and volts.
The city center
All buildings in Assisi, that is in real a small village, are built by using a local stone from Subasio mountain. This stone in pink and withe and for this you can feel when you enter in the city a senso of relax and peace.
Assisi’s oldest nucleus, is protected by a defensive apparatus with a long belt of town walls and eight fortified entrance portals, which are still perfectly preserved. The wall topped by two castles on peak of the mountain: the Major Castle, reconstructed by the Cardinal Albornoz in 1367 and the Minor Castle.
Santa Chiara Cathedral is a little older and decorated with an elegant middle portal with three rose-windows.
The Cathedral, dedicated to the Patron Saint St. Rufino, vaunts a splendid and unaltered facade with sculptures and reliefs; the interior.
On the Town Square, you will find the Priors’ Palace (1337), the Palace of the People’s Captain (12thcentury) and the Temple of Minerva, built during the augustean period with intact pronaos, columms and corinthian capitals.
Nearby, you can find places which are connected with the life of St. Francis :Eremitage of the Prisons, immersed in a wood of oaks and ilex on the slopes of the Subasio Mountain; convent of St. Damian, which was built up around the oratory were, according to tradition, the Cross spoke to the Saint.
In the plain, the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels was built by Alessi between 1569 and 1679 to protect the Porziuncola Chapel, which was the first meeting-place of the Francescan brotherhood.
ST. FRANCIS TOUR: ASSISI AND GUBBIO IN ONE DAY
Gubbio was a Roman center as is demonstrated by the Eugubine Tablets (3rd – 1st century B.C.), the most remarkable epigraphic heirloom of pre-Roman Italy. They consist of seven bronze tablets which offer ritual directions for particular ceremonies, and also give indications as to the organization of the Eugubine city-state.
Gubbio was an ally of Rome as far back as the 3rd century B.C. As a municipality under the authority of the Crustumina tribe, the town flourished in the early centuries of the Empire, as one can still see today from the many archaelogical remains, among which those of the Roman Theatre.
In 1350, when Giovanni Gabrielli became lord of the city, development came to a halt. In 1354 Cardinal Albornoz defeated the tyrant, Gubbio came under the dominion of the church, but with relative autonomy. In 1376 the town rebelled against this state of affairs; soon afterwards Bishop Gabriele Gabrielli took power.
There ensued a period of internal fighting which ended with the subjection of Gubbio to the Montefeltro family (1384). The domination of the Counts and Dukes of Urbino (Montefeltro until 1508, Della Rovere until 1631) gave rise to a period of relative civic prosperity when the arts flourished, especially under the dominion of Guidantonio and Federico di Montefeltro.
Federico began the construction in Renaissance style of the Ducal Palace. The people of Gubbio remained faithful to the lords of Urbino even during the brief hegemony of Valentino in 1502 and of Lorenzo dei Medici in 1516-1519.
In 1798, the time of Napoleon the town was made part of the Cisalpine Republic, then of the Roman Republic (1798-1799), and finally, from 1808 to 1814, of the Italic Kingdom. In 1860 Gubbio was included in Umbria a central region of Italy.
What we will see in Gubbio?
In Gubbio you can visit Palace of the Consuls,the Cathedral, Ducal Palace or New Court or Square of the Forty Martyrs, St. Francis Convent, Church of San Domenico and the Bargello Palace
ASSISI AND ORVIETO IN ONE DAY
It is possible to combine with a visit to Assisi, a tour in the city of Orvieto. Orvieto origins go back to the Etruscan civilization: first Etruscan settlements, going back to the 9th Century B.C., were found inside the tufaceous caves in the bedrock upon which rises the city.
More info about Orvieto in Orvieto tours page.
ASSISI AND PERUGIA IN ONE DAY
As an alternative to Gubbio and Orvieto, it is possible to visit Perugia. Splendid Umbrian town. Perugia, the great “Guelf strong-hold” rises up in the Umbria region’s heart, with its 5 storical quarters closed-in by its Etruscan town walls. These bastions were constructed 22 centuries ago and were formed by cyclopic square masses are still visible for long stretches.
More info about Perugia on Perugia tours’ page
- ASSISI TOUR
- ST. FRANCIS TOUR (Gubbio and Assisi)
- ORVIETO AND ASSISI TOUR
OTHER TOUR WITH ASSISI
As in each of our tours you can customize your itinerary any time, making your visit special and unique. At any time you can choose to stop the itinerary to indulge in relaxation and to stop for lunch. Do not forget to taste local products.
You can have lunch in a typical restaurant (surely our driver will suggest one of the best) and you could have time for a walk along the main shopping streets.
Finally you could book (where possible) a licensed language guide for the places you love most: we will put at your disposal only the most prepared and competent tourist guides.
ASSISI TOUR FROM ROME
ASSISI SHORE EXCURSION FROM CIVITAVECCHIA
Approx + 100€ for each veichle
DISPOSIZIONE ORARIA OLTRE L’ORARIO DEL TOUR
LUXURY FEE +30€ + BOOK RESERVATION 1 € p.p.
SKIP THE LINE TICKETS:
ST. FRANCIS BASILICA in ASSISI
reservation required for groups of more than 10 people
2€ for each person
POZZO DI SAN PATRIZIO AD ORVIETO
tutti i giorni 10.00-17.00
intero 5€ | Ridotto 3,50€ ragazzi fino ai 18 anni e studenti fino ai 25 | gratuito <6 anni
solo prenotazione pagamento in loco
TORRE DEL MORO AD ORVIETO
10.30 – 16.30 inverno | 10.00 – 19.00 estate
intero 2,80€ | Ridotto 2,00€ ragazzi 10-18 anni e studenti fino ai 25 | gratuito <10 anni
solo prenotazione pagamento in loco
ALL MONUMENTS IN ASSISI
- San Pietro
- Basilica of San Francesco
- Santa Chiara’s basilica
- Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli
- San Rufino
- Church of San Damiano
- Santa Maria Maggiore
- New church
- Eremo delle Carceri
- Monastero di Sant’Angelo di Panzo
- Santuario di Rivotorto
Palaces and Square
- Priori Palace
- Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo
- Piazza del Comune
- Roman theater
Towers and Castels
- Torre del Popolo
- Maggiore Castel
- Minore Castel
- Foro Romano e Archeological Collections
- Contemporary Gallery
- Modern art “Padre Felice Rossetti”
- Amazzonian’s Indios
- Treasure of St Francis Basilica and Perkins collection
- Pericle Fazzini
- Pinacoteca Comunale
- Accademy Properziana del Subasio
- Minerva’s Temple
STANDARD TOUR INCLUDED SERVICES
- Round-trip Transfers
- Car/Bus available for the duration of the trip
- Motorways fares and fuel costs
- Air conditioning
- Private driver
EXTRA INCLUDED SERVICES WITH LUXURY OPTION
- Water natural or sparkly 1 p.p.
- Sweets in car
- Umbrellas in car
- Wet paper in car
- WIFI free
- 1 baby seats free
- Mercedes recent car
- Skip the line (if requested and paid in advance)
- We create itineraries based on your tastes and interests
NOT INCLUDED SERVICES
- Meals and drinks
- Museums and monuments entrance fees
- 10% VAT
- Driver’s Overnight stay and meals (for more than one day)
- Licensed tour guide’ fees (from €40 per hour to be paid on site)
- Additional hours on top of the duration of the planned tour or transfer
- Wi-FI 5€
- Baby seat 10€
SURPRISE OR WELCOME GIFT
- Are you preparing a surprise for your sweetheart? If you wish to personalize your trip with sparkling wine, roses, chocolates or other, contact us and we will organize your gift together!
- Do you need a complete representative service. Contact us and we will prepare your welcome gift.
- Comfortable shoesand clothing are recommended.
- During the summer wear sunscreen, sun glasses, and a hat to protect yourself.
- During your visit be sure to have a bottle of water. You will refill your water bottle at fountains with drinkable water.
- The tours listed above are just examples of monuments and attractions you can visit, As in each of our tours you can customize your itinerary at any time if you respect the timetable.
- Check the cost of entrance tickets and the costs of the tour guides through the official websites and opening time of attractions
- We cannot avoid metal detector security checks, also with Skip the line option. In order to make the process smoother, we suggest that you remove your belt, metal watch, keys, phone and money form the pockets. They may ask to check your bag. Big backpacks, luggage, liquids and large umbrellas are not allowed. You can bring regular handbags and small backpacks inside the site.
- Children’s reductions are guaranteed but we cannot collect their tickets before your arrival. You might spend some minutes more waiting in line. Agencies cannot bypass this rule and must go to the kiosk with the kids.