ORVIETO TOURS FROM ROME
Perched on a cliff of volcanic origin, Orvieto dominates the surrounding landscape of vineyards and offers the visitor testimonies of a past rich in history, from the Etruscan time through the period of Commons. Taxi NCC Italy is glad to guide you, with the Orvieto Tour, in a trip through the art of the city and into the secrets hidden by its underground, pits and cellars.
Our convenient service of Car rental with driver will offer you an unforgettable experience of Umbria and its territory. In fact, you can choose to integrate the tour with a visit to the nearby ancient town of Civita di Bagnoregio, considered one of the most beautiful towns in Italy.
Or, you can choose to visit Assisi and breathe the magical medieval atmosphere of the city that was the birthplace of St. Francis. With the Orvieto tour you really get immersed in the art and history of some of the most beautiful Italian cities.
ABOUT ORVIETO TOUR
Orvieto origins go back to the Etruscan civilization: first Etruscan settlements, going back to the 9th Century B.C., were found inside the tufaceous caves in the bedrock upon which rises the city.
Annexed in the 3rd Century B.C. to the territories of Rome until the decline of the Western Roman Empire. Afterwhich it became a free municipality, and during the war between Guelphs and Ghibellines, was opponent of Barbarossa, remaining faithful to the Pope.
Riding on the support of the Vatican State, it was allowed to prosper through the Medieval Period in the 13th Century, reaching the top of its development with the constitution of the General Council of the 400 and the election of the Captain of the People.
It was during this period that one saw the fervent work of erecting palaces and holy buildings among which the very famous Cathedral stands out, dating back to 1263. The most important architectural landmark of Orvieto, with its Gothic facing and the richness of the ornaments and internal chapels.
In the ancient town we find the St. Patrizio well, built in 1527 based on a plan of Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane. Also you can see the Palace of the Seven from 1300, the Palace of People Captain built in 12th Century inside which took place the meetings of the People’s Council.
Saint Andrew’s Church built in 12th Century, Saint Domenic’s Church built in 12th Century, Saint Giovenale’s Church built in 11th Century. Soliano Palace in 1262 within which, one will find: the Museum of the Opera of Dome and the Museum of Modern Art.
We remember also the Mancinelli Theatre (1866), the suggestive Underground City and Necropolis of the Crucifix of Tufo dating back to the Etruscan period.
You can have some lunch in a typical restaurant suggested by your driver and a little stroll down the main shopping streets. Orvieto produces one of the most famous Italian white wines taste it with salame, prosciutto and locally cheese.
ABOUT CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO
Civita is Etruscan city and was founded more than 2,500 years ago.
Civita was the birthplace of St. Bonaventure, who died in 1274. The location of his boyhood house has long since fallen off the edge of the cliff. By the 16th century, the city was beginning to decline, becoming eclipsed by its former suburb Bagnoregio.
At the end of the 17th century, the municipal governmentand the bishop were forced to move to Bagnoregio city because of a major earthquake that accelerated the old town’s decline. The area, at that time, was part of the Papal States.
In the 19th century, Civita’s location was turning into an island in the sky and the pace of the erosion quickened as the layer of clay below the stone was reached in the area where today’s bridge is situated.
Bagnoregio continues as a small but prosperous town, while Civita became known in Italian as “the town that is dying”.Civita di Bagnoregio has only recently been experiencing a tourist revival.
What we will see in Civita di Bagnoregio?
We will see in the city center: a Romanesque Arch the entrance of Civita, was cut by the Etruscans 2,500 years ago.
A Renaissance Palace remains Ruin of an old palace. Remain the façade, the rest collapsed into the canyon.
In the Piazza (Square) there is the only public phone, the site of donkey races on the 1st. Sunday in June and the 2nd. Sunday of September. Columns are Etruscan.
In the same square, there is a Church, is on the site of an Etruscan temple, and after that a Roman temple. It has a fine bell tower, altar, and crucifix.
Maria’s Garden a lovely garden with canyon views. If the garden is open, Maria will greet you in piazza and urge you to see it. She shows the garden to strangers for pocket change; please give her a euro or two.
Etruscan Caves: A series of caves, one of which was made into a chapel: the Chapel of the Incarcerated.
- ORVIETO TOUR
- CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO AND ORVIETO TOUR
- Medieval Duomo with a stunning mosaic facade
- Saint Patrick’s Well
- Underground Passages
- Etruscan Sites
- Views from the Torre del Moro
OTHER TOUR WITH ORVIETO AND CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO
- ASSISI AND ORVIETO TOUR >>
- CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO TOURS
As in each of our tours you can customize your itinerary any time, making your visit special and unique. At any time you can choose to stop the itinerary to indulge in relaxation and to stop for lunch. Do not forget to taste local products.
You can have lunch in a typical restaurant (surely our driver will suggest one of the best) and you could have time for a walk along the main shopping streets.
Finally you could book (where possible) a licensed language guide for the places you love most: we will put at your disposal only the most prepared and competent tourist guides.
ORVIETO TOUR FROM ROME
SHORE EXCURSION TO ORVIETO FROM CIVITAVECCHIA
approx. +50€ for each veichle
LUXURY FEE +30€ + BOOK RESERVATION 1 € p.p.
SKIP THE LINE TICKETS:
WELL OF ST. PATRICK IN ORVIETO
every day 10 am-5pm
Full € 5 | Reduced € 3.50 children up to 18 years and UE students up to 25 | free <6 years
only payment on site
MORO TOWER IN ORVIETO
10.30 – 16.30 winter | 10.00am – 7.00pm summer
Full € 2.80 | Reduced € 2.00 children 10-18 years and UE students up to 25 | free <10 years
only payment on site
OTHER PLACE TO VISIT IN ORVIETO
- Palace Soliano, ospita il Museo “Emilio Greco”
- Papal Palace, with National Archeological Museum
- Capitano del Popolo’s Palace
- Faina Palace , with museum “Claudio Faina” and “Civic museum”
- Febei’s Palace
- Gualterio Palace
- Medieval Palaces
- Rinascimental Palaces
- Modern Palaces
- Via della Cava
- Chapel of St. Brizio,
- San Giovenale’s Church
- Church of Sant’Andrea (1013)
- Church of San Domenicowith Mausoleumof De Braye built from Arnolfo di Cambio
- San Ludovico’s Church
- San Francesco Church, XIII century.
- Abbey of San Severo e Martirio
- Caves of S. Andrea e Bartolomeo’s church
- Well of caves
- Cave of Adriano
STANDARD TOUR INCLUDED SERVICES
- Round-trip Transfers
- Car/Bus available for the duration of the trip
- Transport of people with disabilities
- Motorways fares and fuel costs
- 1 hand luggage per passenger
- Air conditioning
EXTRA INCLUDED SERVICES WITH LUXURY OPTION
- Water natural or sparkly 1 p.p.
- Sweets in car
- Wet paper in car
- Umbrellas in car
- WIFI free
- 1 baby seats free
- Mercedes recent car
- Skip the line (if requested and paid in advance)
- We create itineraries based on your tastes and interests
NOT INCLUDED SERVICES
- Meals and drinks
- Museums and monuments entrance fees
- 10% VAT
- Driver’s Overnight stay and meals (for more than one day)
- Licensed tour guide’ fees (from €40 per hour to be paid on site)
- Additional hours on top of the duration of the planned tour or transfer
- Wi-FI 5€
- Baby seat 10€
SURPRISE OR WELCOME GIFT
- Are you preparing a surprise for your sweetheart? If you wish to personalize your trip with sparkling wine, roses, chocolates or other, contact us and we will organize your gift together!
- Do you need a complete representative service. Contact us and we will prepare your welcome gift.
- Comfortable shoesand clothing are recommended on this and any tours.
- During the summer months it’s important to wear sunscreen, sun glasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- During your visit be sure to have a bottle of waterwith you. You will refill your water bottle at fountains with drinkable water.
- The tours listed above are just examplesof monuments and attractions you can visit, As in each of our tours you can customize your itinerary at any time if you respect the timetable.
- Check the cost of entrance tickets and the costs of the tour guides through the official websites and opening time of attractions
- We cannot avoid metal detector security checks, also with Skip the line option. In order to make the process smoother, we suggest that you remove your belt, metal watch, keys, phone and money form the pockets. They may ask to check your bag. Big backpacks, luggage, liquids and large umbrellas are not allowed. You can bring regular handbags and small backpacks inside the site.
- Children’s reductions are guaranteed but we cannot collect their tickets before your arrival. You might spend some minutes more waiting in line. Agencies cannot bypass this rule and must go to the kiosk with the kids.